Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Who would have imagined... Christmas in July? Aztecs celebrate Christmas?!?!

Been far to long since I have taken the time to blog, so without further ado...

Tonight I snack with my wife and a long time family friend, watching the BBC series Cranford. It would appear I am officially taking part in a impromptu "ladies" night. As unnatural as this may seem it shall not come as unnatural for me to blog about what we are eating as a part of my first ladies night being here in Tulsa OK.

It all began with a phone call from wife making sure I was still up as this would decide if she would be purchasing enough goodies for me to par take of. I was in the middle of fiercely nodding off while listening to a youtube blogger ramble on about new products offered by Kel-Tec Industries from the 2010 shot show. I'm sure this shocks you all.

"And there I was..."

The knock at the door, signaling that they had arrived, came just as I was getting to the product I started watching the video blog for in the first place. In typical fashion I dropped what I was doing to get the door, after all there was food involved. I was immediately presented with an ice cold mountain dew completely swathed in condensation from its trip from the store. After chugging it down quickly, for it was to keep me up late and awake for the "chick" flick, I was presented with a tightly sealed can of hot cocoa powder. After asking for a fork to pry off the lid and having the can removed from grasp as it was decided she might as well open it herself if she had to get me a fork, I quickly setup the TV for the DVD and hurried back to a quite room to finish my video. I could hear the food being prepared in the kitchen, the struggle of fork and can kept me quietly amused. The thunder of popcorn in the microwave was an expected rhythm. I was almost immediately made aware of a rather HUGE mosquito that I identified as a harmless crane fly and food preparation continued.

"Let the good times roll..."

The food was ready. The first thing I was presented with was some tortilla chips and spicy queso dip. Not to out of the ordinary until you discover what comes next, yes the famous fork wrestled can of cocoa, but not just any cocoa this cocoa has a kick! Unknown to me at the time the cocoa I was about to drink was spiced with red pepper in the tradition of the Aztec Indian culture. I was not only surprised by the cocoa as a selection with chips and queso but pleasantly surprised by how the spicy cocoa complemented my salt and cheese saturated palate. The hot spiced cocoa filled ones mouth with a dull fire that would continue to bring out the heat of the queso as it was swallowed. It was an absolutely delightful culinary experience I certainly did not expect. A bag of kettle cooked popcorn and an Oreo Klondike bar later I can certainly make it through any gambit of "chick-i-ness" this movie series has to offer me. I thank God everyday for a forward thinking woman who looks out for her man.

No comments:

Post a Comment